Basically, Kerala backwaters are like a chain of salt water lakes and lagoons which are lying parallel to the Arabian Sea positioned in Kerala state. The highest network of Kerala backwater includes 38 lagoons and rivers, 5 huge lakes. These highest networks of Kerala backwater are extended virtually the half of the entire length of the state. In between the waterways there are several number of cities and towns are positioned which caters the starting and ending point of the Kerala houseboat journeys. The most famous Kerala backwater route spread across the Astamudi Lake and Vembanad Lake. Traditionally, these houseboats are the major way of transportation of goods but in the recent time these are the best mean of tourist attraction which draws the attention of huge number of travellers towards Kerala.
Types of Backwater cruises: In regional language these houseboats are called as Kettuvallams which is the major backbone of Kerala tourism industry. A trip in the houseboats will offer an amazing experience to the travellers. These houseboats are available in various sizes. Some people prefer the canoe trips or the country boat tours to travel through the small canals which will take them the small village regions on the backwater waterways. With the help of this trip one can explore the rural life style of Kerala. Kerala backwater tour package
Another houseboat option is available which will offer you luxurious staying option like a resort or classy hotel along with the backwater. You can enjoy an overnight stay here while floating over the water. Kumarakom and Alleppey are two famous destinations for such kind of houseboat journeys.
Top famous destinations for Kerala backwater journey:
- Alleppey is one of the most famous destinations for backwater journey in Kerala and it is one of the most visited tourist spot in this state. A cruise journey over the backwater of Vembanad Lake which belongs to Alleppey will offer you an unforgettable experience of your life. Alleppey is known as Venice of east due to its beautiful natural attractions.
- Kumarakom is another visited backwater destination in Kerala which has a bunch of little islands on the most renowned Vembanad Lake. This place is also called as Queen of Vembanad in Kumarakom. The traditional houseboat journey of this place will mesmerise you and force to revisit this place. If you visit this place during Onam festival then you can explore the uniqueness of the Sri Narayan Jayanthi Boat Race which is mostly organised during the month of September.
- Kollam is another famous destination for backwater journey which is situated in between Lakshadweep Sea in Kerala and Astamudi Lake. This place Kollam is the southern gateway of the Kerala backwater destinations and is another major tourist attraction of this state. If you cover the eight hour houseboat journey from Kollam to Alleppey it will offer you an amazing experience of your life. If you are travelling Kollam fduring the month of January then you can experience the Kallada boat race.
- Kottayam is another famous houseboat destination in Kerala which is surrounded by the Vembanad Lake on the west and the western Ghat on the east. It is another amazing backwater destination in Kerala which is having most prominent places to visit. During the backwater journey in Kottayam you will explore the beauty of nature at its best.
- Kochi is another famous destination to visit in kerala which is also called as Queen of Arabian sea. It is also considered as one of the finest harbour in all over the world.
Apart from the above mentioned places there are several other backwater destinations that you can cover with the help of the Kerala backwater tour package. Some other places like Vaikom, Paravur, Kuttanad etc that you can explore for backwater exploration.
Famous backwater events
During the festive season this cities are organizing several kind of boat race programs which draw the attention of huge number of tourists towards the backwater region of this state. Boat races in this state are the occasion of great entertainment and excitement which gather huge number of travellers. Most of the boat races are organised in the Kollam and Alleppey region. Some of the famous races in Kerala are Alleppey Nehru Trophy Boat race, Aranmula Snake Boat race, Kumarakom Sri NArayana Jayathi boat race, Kochi Indira Gandhi boat race and many more.
Famous backwater routes in Kerala
Kollam- Alleppey backwater journey is the most renowned and longest route for backwater journey where one can witness the majestic charm and beauty of the palm-fringed rural life and backwater destinations of Kerala. This houseboat journey will take a complete day and night as well from Alleppey to reach Kollam.
Alleppey – Kumarakom Is another backwater route which is the widest canals and waterways which will take the tourist towards the famous Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary. The famous hotels and luxurious resorts are also situated on the bank of the lake.
Alleppey – Kuttanad is another spellbinding houseboat route in Kerala. In this route journey you will get best glimpse of village and farming life in Kerala.
Best time for the Backwater journey
The Kerala backwater tour package is easily available throughout the year but October to February is the perfect time for the backwater journey in Kerala. Summer season is really humid in this state and the rainy season is receiving heavy rains here. So it will be better for you to travel during the winter season to explore the beauty of nature at its best. For planning a best and relaxing vacation on these backwater waterways book your backwater tour with the help of a travel agent who will guide you in organising every single necessities of your trip. So plan your trip towards this tranquil lane and make your vacation truly awesome.